Triple Glazed Windows - All you need to know
Triple Glazed Windows – Advantages
- Triple glazing Improved Insulation
- Lower U Values Double Glazed Windows can achieve U-value of 1.2-1.6 while Triple Glazed can achieve a U-value as low as 0.7. The closer to zero the better.
- Noise pollution Reduction
- Reduces Energy Costs
- Extra Security
- Argon gas between the panes insulates better than air.
Triple Glazed Windows – Disadvantages
- Heavier than double glazed windows
- Reduce the amount of light entering a room due to three window panes
- More expensive than double glazed
- Condensation may occur externally due very good insulating properties.
Most Effective Insulation
- The space between each pane of glass determines how effective the insulation is. The cavities should have the following depths:
- In a double glazing unit – a 16mm cavity
- Triple glazing units need two spacer bars each with a 18mm cavity,
- So if a pane of standard glass is typically 4mm,
- then the ideal depth of a double glazed unit is 4 + 16 + 4 = 24mm.
- and the ideal depth of a triple glazed unit is 4 + 18 +4 + 18 +4 = 48mm!
Are Triple Glazed Windows better than Double Glazed?
To enjoy the benefits of triple glazed windows your home should have good quality insulation throughout
So for your own home it is worth looking at the following:
- The existing insulation in the roof and walls
- The orientation of your house
- Is noise reduction important to you.
- Where and how much glazing you are looking to install
The perfect scenario would be to use triple glazing on the North facing aspect of the house to achieve optimum Insulation – with no direct sunlight there is no solar gain. Then on the East, South and West facing aspects use double glazed windows to achieve the balance between Insulation and any solar gain that might be available. For more information contact our experienced staff who can help advise you.
Email us firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us at 01-4039999 or visit Our New Showroom at Unit 1B, Riverbank Business Park, Nangor Road, Dublin 12.